Mobile Quote 2.0 FAQs
What you need to know about Mobile Quote 2.0
D-Tools Mobile Quote is a companion application to SI 2017. Mobile Quote is a native IOS-based iPad® app that enables SI 2017 users to work with customers to establish an initial scope and budget, generate a quote, and sync that quote with their D-Tools SI application to create a project (from which more detailed documentation (proposal, contract, drawings, etc.) can be generated, and the project can be managed through install.
What does Mobile Quote 2.0 do?
Mobile Quote has been designed to give D-Tools SI 2017 users a new way of generating important information about a job prior to completing a detailed proposal. It is effectively a sales tool, which can be used to create a scope and budget, general or specific quote. The information gathered in the quote is used to determine the size of the job and to derive an approximate price. While some customers may be able to use Mobile Quote to generate an acceptable proposal, the primary use case here is to support a multi-step sales process in which:
- General information about the job is collected
- An estimated price for the work is calculated.
- The customer agrees to work with the System Integrator based on the quote and receives an email confirmation.
- The sales person syncs the quote data to SI 2017.
- The quote data is used to construct a detailed proposal (project) just as SI users might normally do.
- The detailed proposal (generated from SI 2017) is presented to the customer for final approval and work to start.
How Do Users Purchase Mobile Quote?
Mobile Quote is available for download via the Apple app store and can be installed for free. However, every customer must purchase Mobile Quote licenses in order to fully use Mobile Quote. Device Licenses are priced at $25.00 per iPad device per month, and managed via the SI 2017 registration system.
There are a number of places within SI 2017 to purchase Mobile Quote licenses, including the SI 2017 Startpage, the Mobile Quotes menu from the “Start” tab, and from within the Mobile Quote Explorer within SI 2017.
Mobile Quote Licenses are not the same as SI 2017 additional concurrent user licenses. Since SI 2017 supports creating more users than seats, customers can create users who only use Mobile Quote devices (if they like). Devices are however assigned to a specific user/device combination. Once all Mobile Quote device licenses have been used up, the customer must either:
- Buy more Mobile Quote device licenses.
- Unregister an iPad device so that another might be used (this also supports the case in which a device is lost or damaged).
Here is some additional information on installation and licensing:
- Installing Mobile Quote: Click here.
- Purchasing licenses: Click here.
- Register Mobile Quote: Click here.
Users who have downloaded Mobile Quote but do not have SI 2017 Update 3 can explore the app by editing the included sample project and using the included sample Catalog, but in order to fully use the app, the customer must install SI 2017 Update 3 and validate their device. SI 2017 Update 3 has new permissions for managing Mobile Quote users. These have been added to the User Groups Permissions dialog in Control Panel/QuickSetup.
NOTE: If you are using the Mobile Quote 1.0 app, this app has reached end of life and is no longer available for download from the App Store. Mobile Quote 2.0 will install side by side with Mobile Quote 1.0 and will share licenses. Once you have downloaded Mobile Quote 2.0, you can unregister your licenses for Mobile Quote 1.0 and make them available for Mobile Quote 2.0 via Manage Mobile Devices.
What do I need to Connect Mobile Quote to SI 2017?
In order to connect Mobile Quote to your SI 2017 Server you will need to make sure you are updated to the latest version of SI 2017 Update 3 and have purchased Mobile Quote licenses.
- Purchase Mobile Quote license(s).
- Once you receive the confirmation email, go to the SI 2017 Start menu and select Help/Register. Click on register to refresh your SI 2017 license and enable Mobile Quote.
- From the Mobile Quote App enter the SI 2017 Server Name or IP address and User name and Password (Also found under My Account).
- Project Types: Project Types contain default labor rates, tax settings, Systems, Locations, and pricing options. Click here.
- Meeting Objectives: Meeting Objectives allow you to set default text for when approving a Quote in Mobile Quote. Click here.
- Company Logo: The logo set in the Company Information settings in your SI Control Panel. Click here.
- Catalog Data: A Mobile Quote Catalog is created from your SI Catalog. You choose what data synchronizes with Mobile Quote. Click here.
How Is Quote Data Used in SI 2017
Mobile Quote data is designed to be used as a scaffold or roadmap to creating a detailed project/proposal in SI 2017. When a Mobile Quote is sent to SI it becomes available via the Manage Mobile Quotes UI in the app (Start>Mobile Quotes>Manage Mobile Quotes). From this list of quotes users can choose to “Create new project”. This UI is also available via the Create New button in the Manage Projects screen.
Create a new project: Click here.
When a new project is created via Mobile Quote a few things happen:
- The new project wizard is opened and pre-populated with data from the Mobile Quote (customer name, address, locations, systems).
- A new dockable window is added to the project editor called the Mobile Quote Explorer.
All the items added to the quote are displayed in the Mobile Quote explorer and can be dragged and dropped directly into the project (just like adding labor, equipment or packages). When adding equipment items and wire the Add Product dialog is opened pre-filtered to the cat/sub cat of the item and filtered by items. Also, the system and location as well as the quantity of the items are all pre-set based on the data in the Quote Item.
Packages are added directly to the project.
How Does Mobile Quote Work?
Mobile Quote works as an Add-In to SI 2017. You can think of Mobile Quote like you would offline work in SI 2017. SI 2017 is the source of all the information needed in Mobile Quote to generate a quote. This data must by sync’d down to the iPad. When a quote has been completed it must be sync’d up to SI 2017. Because of this, the iPad must have both internet access and be able to connect to the SI 2017 Server running on the company network.
How Does Mobile Quote Connect to SI?
SI 2017 includes all new services for communicating with Mobile Quote. These services are enabled via http on port 9011 (by default). In order to connect Mobile Quote to SI 2017 the device must:
- Have an active internet connection.
- Be able to connect to the computer running SI 2017 Server.
In this way, connecting Mobile Quote to SI 2017 is not very different from the way the SI 2017 desktop client connects to the server. D-Tools customers have a few options for how to handle availability of the SI 2017 services:
- Within the network only: In this case the SI 2017 Server can only be connected to by other computers on the network. Basically, the iPad device must be connected to the network (via wireless or wired) that is running the SI 2017 Server.
- Via VPN: iPad devices include a VPNclient that can be used to make VPN connections. Again, the set up here is very similar to how D-Tools customers currently configure SI 2017 to be accessed over VPNs with the additional step of configuring the VPN or any firewall to allow http traffic on port 9011.
- Via HTTP: A new option available in SI 2017 is to make the services publicly available via http. In this case, customers will need to set up their firewall to allow traffic to the SI 2017 Server via http on port 9011. If the customer has a domain they can equally create a sub domain for these services such as: mobilequote.mycompany.com. In this case, the Mobile Quote user need only be on an active internet connection to connect to SI 2017
A quick note on Machine Names, vs IP addresses and Domain Vs Workgroups:
Mobile Quote will work best when the network has a domain which routes server names to appropriate IP addresses or when a static IP address is set up for the SI 2017 Server. For customers using workgroups, iPads can be added to the workgroup there are a few resources on the web explaining this:
A quick note when working with Parallels:
If you are running SI 2017 on a server running on Parallels on a Mac it is important that you make sure your networking is set to Bridged in the parallels configuration. Using shared networking will result in the app not be able to connect to the windows virtual. You can set up bridged networking in the parallels configuration.
- In your system tray right click on the parallels icon
- Select Configure
- In the configure dialog choose Hardware
- In the panel on the left of the hardware screen select Network1 (it may be named something different on your machine, so look for Network) that should be the one).
- In the main panel next to Type select the Bridged Network Default Adapter selection.
- Restart you parallels virtual for the setting to take effect.
What information do I need to Connect Mobile Quote to SI?
In order to connect Mobile Quote to your SI 2017 Server you will need the following information:
- The SI 2017 Server IP Address or Server name. (If you are on a domain you can use the Server name, otherwise you will need the IP address of the SI 2017 Server. This can be found in SI from the top right corner of the Start Page under your name. From the pop up window click on Server (it will list the Server name and Server IP address.)
- SI 2017 User name and Password (Also found under your name).